Shatterproof is a national nonprofit dedicated to reversing the addiction crisis in the United States.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
For the 20.4 million adults in America with a substance use disorder (SUD), the devastation caused by the disease can be crushing. In 2018, more than 175,000 deaths in the U.S. were related to alcohol and other drugs – the third largest cause of death in the nation. Of those deaths, 47,000 were from an opioid overdose. The opioid crisis also cost society an estimated $179 billion to $696 billion in 2018 alone. These impacts are felt across a broad swath of society, from health care to employers to the government.
Even more tragic, the social isolation and anxiety brought on by COVID-19 has made the addiction crisis that much worse. Addressing this health crisis is more important now than ever. Recent reporting indicates that overdoses in May 2020 were 42% higher than in May 2019.
Founded by hospitality executive Gary Mendell in 2013, Shatterproof draws from the extensive business experience of its senior leadership and uses a for-profit, ROI-focused lens to create results. Our strict commitment to science, evidence-based solutions, and transformational change has informed the business plan we execute daily. Our business plan includes work within the following three key pillars:
- Revolutionizing the treatment system.
We are transforming the healthcare delivery system so that every person facing addiction has access to quality care and treatment based on science.
- Breaking down addiction-related stigmas.
Addiction is a treatable disease, not a weakness. By changing people’s attitudes and behaviors, we’re reducing the shame in order to encourage patients to seeking life- saving treatment, and providing reassurance, compassion, and support for a full and fulfilling life.
- Supporting and empowering our communities.
We are providing science-based educational resources that aid in the prevention and treatment of addiction, while building hope, confidence and resiliency within families and communities, and advocating for life-saving policies.
Shatterproof’s growth and achievements are a testament to our investors and the growing number of stakeholders and communities rising up against addiction. Together, we can reverse this health crisis and create a better and brighter future, free from the disease of addiction and the stigma that surrounds it.
Shatterproof has successfully informed policy changes that improve access to science-based addiction treatment and promote lasting recovery. In the past six years we have been influential in 25 bills being signed into law in 18 states; the successful passage of the CDC’s Guidelines for the safer prescribing of dangerous opioids; and sections of federal laws that improve treatment access and quality. Our current policy work is focused on three areas: payment reform, addiction training and education, and opioid litigation settlement.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
This position, reporting to the Senior Director, Development Operations, directs the stewardship and development communications efforts for the Development team, creating processes and providing tools that enable relationship management and fundraising success.
Essential functions and core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Direct the process, procedures, and tools that enable and encourage best practices and consistency in acknowledgement, recognition, and reporting for all fundraising activities.
- Enhance current and/or develop new tools as needed to support annual and strategic fundraising initiatives, including potential campaign activities.
- Produce the organizational stewardship report, create customized stewardship plans and reports for major donors that can be replicated by staff for other donors and draft specialized stewardship plans for select donors.
- Lead the organization’s development and implementation of a comprehensive donor/volunteer recognition program.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the quality of donor interactions, including all potential touchpoints.
- Oversee the creation and production of Development department donor communications for Mid-Level, Major Gifts, Principal Gifts and campaign audiences, including solicitation and acknowledgement letters and mass communications, including e-communications (as agreed upon in concert with Marketing team’s digital fundraising strategies).
- Work cross-functionally to execute effective targeted communications plans aligned with prioritized donor segments and organizational strategies. Serve as a primary writer for donor messaging.
- Provide grant-writing support for Corporate, Foundation and Major Gifts efforts, including written proposals and stewardship reports.
- Prospect Research
- Oversee the Wealth Screening function to ensure that the Development team has current, accurate and relevant wealth data about donors and prospects across portfolios.
- Develop Donor Profiles for those within portfolios who have the greatest potential.
- Data Management and Gift Processing
- Lead the Development team’s development and execution of a gift and data processing effort that allows Shatterproof to set itself apart from other nonprofits in its ability to delight donors with our personalized gift processing efforts.
- Serve as senior leader for Development team in the partnership between IT, Finance and Marketing/Communications to develop and deliver on a best in class gift and data processing program.
- Partner with Executive Assistant, Development to produce daily donor acknowledgments on a timely basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline or related experience is required.
- Five or more years of experience in development communications and stewardship.
- Demonstrated initiative and desire to take on new projects.
- Superb interpersonal skills and the ability to actively listen.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Effective presentation and negotiation skills.
- Highly organized & attentive to detail.
- Adaptable and flexible, with ability to handle several priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to work independently.
- Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Development database experience, including SalesForce
To Apply: Please send your resume to email@example.com with subject line “[Name] Director, Development Operations”. Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Shatterproof values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.