This position is remote, but must be based in California.
ATLAS® is a web-based platform that allows the public searching for high-quality addiction treatment to locate and compare facilities, including trustworthy, standardized quality data on the services available and feedback on the services reported by other patients. ATLAS helps the public navigate to better quality care and supports providers in quality improvement.
The core mission of Shatterproof is to reverse the addiction crisis in America and to serve patients and families. ATLAS fulfills Shatterproof’s goal of leveraging quality measures to increase transparency in and encourage improvements to addiction treatment. It is based upon Shatterproof’s National Principles of Care© and stems from the work of the Shatterproof Substance Use Disorder Treatment Task Force.
ATLAS collects facility-level data from multiple, validated sources. Data from these sources is displayed in publicly-facing dashboards that allow for easy comparison between facilities. Moreover, ATLAS promotes quality improvement by offering password-protected portals for facilities, payers, and states to view and use the data to drive quality improvement and innovation.
ATLAS is currently live in six states (DE, LA, MA, NC, NY, WV) and will be expanding to additional states in 2021. Shatterproof works closely with many addiction treatment stakeholders, including provider and medical organizations, payers, and recovery advocates, to ensure successful and collaborative implementation.
ATLAS is an initiative overseen by the National Treatment Quality Initiatives Team, composed of operational, research, and state engagement staff, who work in NYC or remotely.
Reporting to the Director of State Engagement, National Treatment Quality Initiatives, the Assistant Director of State Engagement for California is tasked with executing state-based strategies to ensure the successful launch and sustained implementation of ATLAS in the state. This will include liaising with state officials, providers, insurers, and other stakeholders; developing written content and delivering independent presentations across the state; and coordinating with Shatterproof staff and contractors related to public affairs, consumer education, provider training, and treatment quality initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have an educational and employment background in public health, public policy, substance use disorder treatment, or a related field; knowledge of the addiction treatment system; knowledge of treatment and health systems in the state of CA specifically; and experience undertaking projects that are both independent and collaborative, involve many partners, complex issues, and quantitative data.
The position is remote, but must be based in California. Once safe to do so, this position will require substantial domestic travel within the state.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inform and execute state engagement plan for ATLAS in California, and support across other ATLAS states
- Build and manage key relationships in California including with state officials, agencies, providers, and insurers to ensure the success of the project
- Lead all communications with state-based stakeholders and represent Shatterproof at key in-state meetings and events
- Oversee and support strategies to encourage treatment facility participation in the ATLAS Treatment Facility Survey, and patient participation in the ATLAS Patient Experience Survey
- Track progress toward implementation and share successes and challenges with the state engagement team
- Support the Director of State Engagement in other ATLAS states and work with the state engagement team on cross-state activities
- 5+ years of experience in a government agency, research organization, or health care system (addiction treatment preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with multiple high-level stakeholders
- Passion for Shatterproof’s mission
- Demonstrated knowledge of substance use disorders preferred
- Excellent and persuasive communicator; exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Self-reliant, excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance multiple complex workstreams and to adapt in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment
- A proactive, team player eager to collaborate with colleagues and partner
- Masters level candidates with focus on public policy, public health, health administration, or a related discipline preferred
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit dedicated to reversing the addiction crisis in the United States.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
For the 20.4 million adults in America with a substance use disorder (SUD), the devastation caused by the disease can be crushing. In 2018, more than 175,000 deaths in the U.S. were related to alcohol and other drugs – the third largest cause of death in the nation. Of those deaths, 47,000 were from an opioid overdose. The opioid crisis also cost society an estimated $179 billion to $696 billion in 2018 alone. These impacts are felt across a broad swath of society, from health care to employers to the government.
Even more tragic, the social isolation and anxiety brought on by COVID-19 has made the addiction crisis that much worse. Addressing this health crisis is more important now than ever. Recent reporting indicates that overdoses in May 2020 were 42% higher than in May 2019.
Founded by hospitality executive Gary Mendell in 2013, Shatterproof draws from the extensive business experience of its senior leadership and uses a for-profit, ROI-focused lens to create results. Our strict commitment to science, evidence-based solutions, and transformational change has informed the business plan we execute daily. Our business plan includes work within the following three key pillars:
- Revolutionizing the treatment system. We are transforming the healthcare delivery system so that every person facing addiction has access to quality care and treatment based on science.
- Breaking down addiction-related stigmas. Addiction is a treatable disease, not a weakness. By changing people’s attitudes and behaviors, we’re reducing the shame in order to encourage patients to seeking life- saving treatment, and providing reassurance, compassion, and support for a full and fulfilling life.
- Supporting and empowering our communities. We are providing science-based educational resources that aid in the prevention, treatment and recovery of addiction, while building hope, confidence and resiliency within families and communities, and advocating for life-saving policies.
Shatterproof’s growth and achievements are a testament to our investors and the growing number of stakeholders and communities rising up against addiction. Together, we can reverse this health crisis and create a better and brighter future, free from the disease of addiction and the stigma that surrounds it.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
To Apply: Please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “[Name] Assistant Director of State Engagement (CA) Application”