New York, N.Y./Washington, D.C
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending the devastation that addiction causes families.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The use of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 150,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2016, more than 64,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Drug overdoses now exceed car crashes as the number one accidental cause of death in the United States and is the leading cause of death among Americans under 50. In addition to the human toll, the rising costs of addiction exceed $400 billion annually in healthcare, criminal justice and lost productivity.
Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient. The federal government has treated addiction as a serious criminal problem, rather than a public health crisis, and competing bureaucracies and special interests have resulted in a less holistic perspective than this enormous challenge requires.
Founded by former business executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation that addiction is causing our families. To achieve this, Shatterproof believes:
- Every state and federal government agency must adopt, fund, and implement common-sense policies to dramatically increase access to evidence-based prevention and chronic disease management programs;
- Every American must have access to high-quality, evidence-based prevention and chronic disease treatment programs for addiction that meets a national standard of proven research; and
- Everyone with a substance use disorder must be treated with the same empathy and receive the same expert care as someone suffering from any other disease.
In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
Foremost to Shatterproof’s impact has been effecting change through federal and state legislation. In 2016 Shatterproof was one of the lead advocates for the successful issuance of the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, and the passage of two federal laws, the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) and the 21st Century Cures Act. In addition, in 2017 Shatterproof was the most influential advocate related to health insurance for the treatment for addiction.
At the state level, Shatterproof has led campaigns in 14 states, which has led to life-saving legislation being passed in 13 of these. These laws range from broadening access to naloxone, a medication which can instantly reverse an overdose, to ensuring prescribing practices of opioids align with CDC recommendations.
In early 2017 Shatterproof launched its most comprehensive initiative to date, the Substance Use Disorder Treatment Task Force, whose mission is to ensure that every American with a substance use disorder has access to treatment based upon proven research. Last November it announced a landmark agreement with 16 health insurers with its National Principals of Care, and is currently working to ensure their implementation through payment reform, provider ratings, provider education, consumer education and policy changes. Programs will be piloted in each of these areas in 2018.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Communications Officer is tasked with developing and implementing communication strategies that enhance Shatterproof’s influence and engagement with the general public and key audiences (media, public officials, influencers).
- Promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation, leadership in the field, and the visibility of the organization and its leaders.
- Develop and implement Shatterproof’s integrated communications strategy to advance brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholders.
- Oversee digital marketing strategy and success across Shatterproof’s website, email, blog, paid, social and technology.
- Develop and implement data-driven and user-centered methodologies to optimize digital experiences, and build Shatterproof’s constituent base across email and social channels.
- Oversee the execution and growth of online fundraising campaigns, including renewals, monthly giving, year-end giving, and other special appeals.
- Develop best-in-class processes to collect data, derive insights and inform content strategy and digital infrastructure decisions.
- Develop and implement plan for constituent messaging in all digital channels.
- Develop and and implement Shatterproof’s advocacy communication strategies to influence policymakers and build grassroots advocacy support.
- Develop and implement Shatterproof public relations strategy that will allow Shatterproof leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the traditional and nontraditional media, key influencers, government officials and other audiences.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Build on the energy and momentum of a growing team, and foster a culture of accountability and high performance.
- Ten plus years of experience in a senior role in a non-profit organization, PR agency or the media, and passion for Shatterproof’s mission.
- Team leadership / management experience.
- Well-connected communications leader with demonstrated experience managing strategic communications, digital engagement and media relations.
- Demonstrated expertise in overseeing high-profile campaigns (media, government relations, digital engagement, etc.) to advance organizational goals.
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing successful digital organizing campaigns
- Solid knowledge of online paid advertising,SEO, web analytics and Google Adwords
- Experience with CRM software and digital marketing tools and techniques
- Ability to work in fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Demonstrated success driving awareness around advocacy at federal and state levels.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator; exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Self-reliant, excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to anticipate future needs and make decisions in a changing environment.
- A solid grasp of metrics to help analyse the team's KPI's and ensure the organization is meeting its goals.
- A proactive, team player eager to collaborate with colleagues, our Board of Directors and our donor community.
- Extensive writing and editing experiencewith a variety of communications media (print, digital, etc.).
- Experience with health-focused issue-based communication strategies is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is preferred.
To apply send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org