More than 93,000 people died from drug overdoses in 2020, the highest level ever recorded. The human toll of the opioid and addiction crisis is undeniable. Based on extensive interviews, literature reviews, and case studies, we believe that effectively addressing public policy is a critical component of combatting this crisis – and every individual and institution in the U.S. has an important role to play.
Shatterproof is currently working to transform the addiction treatment system; reduce stigma of addiction on a national scale; and educate the public about addiction. We do this through engagement of institutions and influencers across the country and have set the standard for measuring impact across our programs.
The purpose of this position is to lead all aspects of Shatterproof’s state policy agenda, including the development, enactment, and implementation of state legislative initiatives. Current activities include spearheading all policy decisions on treatment access for addiction, developing strong relationships with state legislators and agencies, managing local lobbying teams, and leading grassroots volunteers and coordinating with other local advocacy organizations. In addition, the position involves interacting with Shatterproof’s executive, administrative and program staff, and many external organizations that can aid us in fulfilling our state policy agenda. The position location is flexible as the position typically requires significant trave to the various states where Shatterproof is engaged on policy. When travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, this position will require travel. This position will report to Shatterproof’s Chief Public Policy Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set state policy agenda, draft bills, and secure enactment of legislative and non-legislative initiatives in support of Shatterproof’s mission, particularly related to payment reform for substance use disorder treatment in the states.
- Research and analyze state and federal statutes, regulations, and case law on issues of importance.
- Establish strategic priorities to effectuate legislative and policy mission in the states.
- Draft legislation that meets needs of the addiction response, including optimization of insurance coverage for evidence-based treatments.
- Testify in support of addiction-related policy at state legislative committee hearings and help orchestrate additional testimony.
- Hire lobbyists and manage lobbying efforts in states pursuing addiction policy reforms.
- Provide oversight on lobbying registration and reporting.
- Provide advice on bill language throughout the enactment process.
- Draft amendments and respond to amendments as needed throughout legislative process.
- Develop, update, and evaluate model legislation on addiction policy.
- Develop a network of outside experts who can assist addiction policy initiatives on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinate consensus among the broad spectrum of local addiction organizations to achieve state policy initiatives.
- With the assistance of the Director of Ambassador Program, plan, organize and execute efforts to mobilize grassroots lobbying in support of state initiatives.
- Research and compile data from existing sources, as well as recommend engagement of outside studies, to inform legislative policy initiatives, including enhancement of effective arguments in support of payment reform.
- Collaborate with state Medicaid agencies to implement payment reform policy for evidence-based addiction treatment.
- Liaise with state Medicaid, state primary care and psychiatric organizations, and other government officials and local advocates to adopt integrated behavioral health care within the primary care setting.
- Inform written content on payment reform for addiction treatment, with an emphasis on evidence-based solutions, such as medications for addiction treatment and integrated care models like the Collaborative Care Model for SUD.
- Establish and maintain presence with state legislators and agencies and with national legislative community.
- Act as Shatterproof liaison to relevant state agencies, ensuring representation of the policy objectives of Shatterproof.
- Interact with National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), Council of State Governments (CSG), and similar organizations as appropriate.
- Work with Chief Marketing Officer and Director of Digital Strategy to manage internal and external communications related to policy.
- Identify key state policy initiatives, including legislation, which should engage state ambassadors and advocates.
- Collaborate with marketing staff on content for state and federal action alerts, which galvanize legislative support for policy initiatives.
- Ensure Shatterproof state advocacy leaders and constituents are fully informed and invested in the state policy agenda.
- Provide periodic updates to senior management and internal staff on the status of state policy efforts.
- Manage effort to research, assemble and post to the Shatterproof website addiction-related updates in all 50 states, coordinating the effort with outside counsel, including necessary proposals and contracts.
- Oversee implementation of state policy initiatives.
- Educate key stakeholders, including state elected officials and staff, on the substance and intent of our state policy agenda and organizational program priorities, including:
- Payment Reform for Addiction Treatment
- Training and Education of Addiction Treatment Workforce
- Allocation of opioid litigation settlement funding
- Stigma Initiative
- ATLAS, a quality measurement system for addiction treatment facilities
- Work with professional provider and insurance organizations, among others, to advance key issues described above.
- Implement model law to protect state funds secured through opioid litigation (“opioid settlement funds”)
- Collaborate with external partners to enact guiding principles for states, including a dedicated fund, for use of the opioid settlement funds.
- Serve as ambassador for Shatterproof’s policy department.
- Speak on payment, stigma and other policy matters of importance to Shatterproof.
- Act as principal liaison with other addiction and mental health organizations related to the coordination of community efforts on behalf of all relevant legislative initiatives.
- Establish relations with other addiction and mental health organizations and coalitions, and attend events as needed to maintain relations.
- Establish and maintain relations with professional organizations that relate to Shatterproof’s mission, such as the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Psychiatric Association (APA), their state affiliates and other similar organizations.
The ideal candidate qualifications include:
- Minimum of 10 plus years of experience in policy development and/or management
- Experience advocating before state legislatures and executive agencies strongly preferred
- A bachelor’s degree in public health, public policy, or related discipline required. Advanced degree preferred
- Experience budgeting for state policy or advocacy initiatives
- Experience in addiction and/or mental health policy strongly preferred
- Experience working with multiple stakeholder groups. Experience working with health insurers, employers, and advocates preferred
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify and synthesize large amounts of information, with a strong commitment to providing the highest possible quality content
- Ability to balance multiple complex workstreams
- Ability to work independently as well as across teams
- Ability to travel to the states where Shatterproof is engaged on policy as needed
- Ability to be flexible and aggressive in an entrepreneurial organization
- Ability to utilize Microsoft office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit dedicated to reversing the addiction crisis in the United States.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother, or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The misuse of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 160,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2017, more than 70,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient.
Founded by former hotel executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families.
In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
- Federal & State Public Policies: Shatterproof is the leading organization informing policymakers on addiction-related issues, which has directly contributed to policy accomplishments in more than 20 states; from the safer prescribing of opioids, to ensuring that the licensing of treatment programs is conditioned upon evidenced-based treatment, to ensuring that commercial and public health insurance are properly paying for treatment. Shatterproof has also partnered with other organizations to educate policymakers for the successful issuance of the CDC guideline for the safer prescribing of opioids and the passage of three comprehensive federal laws.
- Treatment Quality Measurement: Shatterproof is leading an initiative to apply public quality measurement system best practices – measuring the evidence-based elements of care delivery shown to improve patient outcomes, and then making that information available to consumers, providers, and market influencers – to addiction treatment. It is currently rolling out this quality measurement system ATLAS nationally.
- Public Education: Shatterproof created evidenced-based educational programs for employers and families on prevention, treatment, and recovery, with the dual aim of reducing the stigma unjustly associated with those addicted and their families. Shatterproof also created the largest event series for addiction in history, its Rise Against Addiction 5K Walk, which brings tens of thousands of families together to support each other and reduce the stigma of addiction.
Successful organizations are led by strong, effective leaders. Shatterproof’s leadership team is unique as its two top executives were highly successful businessmen and bring a for-profit, ROI, get-it-done approach to the organization. Shatterproof has rounded out its leadership team with team members holding extensive backgrounds in public policy and stigma reduction and with advisors providing subject matter expertise on addiction and public health. Coming from a very diverse set of backgrounds, our professional and lay leadership share a deep passion and commitment to ending the devastation caused by the disease of addiction.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “[Name] Vice President State Policy Application”
Shatterproof values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.