The assessment is designed to help people looking for addiction treatment by providing a provisional recommendation for the best level of care, or treatment setting for the patient to seek a comprehensive clinical assessment.
Shatterproof has partnered with the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) and OpenBeds to build a resource that is both consumer friendly and aligns with evidence-based best practices.
The ASAM Criteria is the most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for placement, continued stay, transfer, or discharge of patients with addiction and co-occurring conditions. The ASAM Criteria identifies six key factors, called dimensions, to assess an individual and develop an addiction treatment plan that meets their needs. The assessment has been built to rapidly assess an individual’s severity/risk in each of the dimensions:
- Intoxication and/or Withdrawal Potential: The examination of an individual’s past and current experience of substance use and withdrawal.
- General Health: The examination of an individual’s health history and current physical condition.
- Mental Health: The examination of an individual’s thoughts, emotions, and mental health.
- Readiness to Change: The examination of an individual’s readiness and interest in changing their behaviors.
- Potential to Relapse: The examination of an individual’s unique relationship with relapse, continued substance use, or substance use problems.
- Recovery and Living Environment: The examination of an individual’s recovery or living situation, and the surrounding people, places, and things.
Based on the quick snapshot of the user’s severity/risk along each dimension, the assessment results in guidance as to what level of care is likely the best starting place based on the individual’s needs. In some cases, the assessment also recommends additional features that might be relevant when selecting a treatment provider, such as the availability of medication or ability to treat co-occurring conditions.
The assessment is based off the ASAM Co-Triage and ASAM CONTINUUM, both validated resources also built around the ASAM Criteria, and was peer reviewed by ASAM Criteria editors to ensure the assessment logic aligned with the ASAM Criteria. The assessment has also been beta-tested with end users to ensure usability.
Navigating the addiction treatment world is challenging, the assessment is a best-in-class resource to help consumers make more informed decisions on where and how to start this journey.