ATLAS® is a web and app-based platform that will allow the public searching for high-quality addiction treatment to locate and compare facilities, including trustworthy, standardized quality data on the services available and feedback on the services reported by other patients. ATLAS aims to help the public navigate to better quality care and support providers in quality improvement.
The core mission of Shatterproof is to reverse the addiction crisis in America and to serve patients and families. ATLAS fulfills Shatterproof’s goal of leveraging quality measures to increase transparency in and encourage improvements to addiction treatment. It is based upon Shatterproof’s National Principles of Care© and stems from the work of the Shatterproof Substance Use Disorder Treatment Task Force.
ATLAS will collect facility-level data from three sources: insurance claims, patient experience surveys, and a validated treatment facility survey. Data from these sources will be displayed in publicly-facing dashboards that allow for easy comparison between facilities. Moreover, ATLAS will promote quality improvement by offering portals for facilities, payers, and states to view and use the data to drive quality improvement and innovation.
ATLAS is currently being implemented in select states (DE, LA, MA, NC, NY, WV). States were selected for Phase I based upon various criteria, including capacity for successful implementation and demonstrated potential to scale ATLAS in the future. For this first phase, Shatterproof is also working closely with many addiction treatment stakeholders, including provider and medical organizations, payers, and recovery advocates, to ensure a successful and collaborative implementation. Following successful implementation in Phase I, ATLAS will be sustained in these states and scaled nationally.
The ATLAS initiative is led by the Vice President, National Treatment Quality Initiatives, who is based in NY, and a team that works remotely.
Reporting to the Director of State Engagement, National Treatment Quality Initiatives, the Assistant Director of State Engagement is tasked with executing state-based strategies to ensure the successful launch and sustained implementation of ATLAS in respective states. This will include liaising with state officials, providers, insurers, and other stakeholders; developing written content and delivering independent presentations across the state; and coordinating with Shatterproof staff and contractors related to public affairs, consumer education, provider training, and treatment quality initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have an educational and employment background in public health, public policy, substance use disorder treatment, or a related field; knowledge of the addiction treatment system; and, experience undertaking projects that are both independent and collaborative, involve many partners, complex issues, and quantitative data.
The position will be remote. It will require substantial domestic travel to Phase II states.
- Inform and execute state engagement plan for ATLAS in assigned states, and support across other ATLAS Phase II states, maintain relationships across ATLAS Phase I states.
- Build and manage key relationships with state officials, agencies, providers, and insurers to ensure the success of the project
- Host monthly “Provider Roundtables” to inform treatment programs on items related to the project
- Convene quarterly “State Advisory Committees”
- Lead all communications with state-based stakeholders and represent Shatterproof at key in-state meetings and events
- Oversee and support strategies to encourage provider participation in the Treatment Facility Survey
- Oversee and support strategies to encourage patient and family member participation in the Patient Experience Survey
- Regularly disseminate information related to ATLAS with key stakeholders
- Plan agendas for and facilitate meetings with state officials around ATLAS
- Track progress toward implementation and share successes and challenges with the state engagement team
- Support the Director of State Engagement in other ATLAS states and work with the state engagement team on cross-state activities
- Maintain expertise on state-based initiatives related to Shatterproof’s work in respective state, including policy and regulatory changes
- Develop an understanding of legislative history and changes that impact ATLAS, including related to state licensure
- 5 plus years of experience in a government agency, research organization, or health care system (addiction treatment preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with multiple high-level stakeholders
- Passion for Shatterproof’s mission
- Demonstrated knowledge of substance use disorders preferred
- Excellent and persuasive communicator; exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Self-reliant, excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to anticipate future needs and make decisions in a changing environment
- Ability to work independently, from home, given the role is remote
- A proactive, team player eager to collaborate with colleagues and partner
- Masters level candidates with focus on public policy, public health, health administration, or a related discipline preferred
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending the devastation of addiction.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The misuse of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 150,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2016, more than 64,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient.
Founded by former hotel executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families. To achieve this, Shatterproof believes:
- Every state and federal government agency must adopt, fund, and implement common-sense policies to dramatically increase access to evidence-based prevention and chronic disease management programs;
- Every American must have access to high-quality, evidence-based prevention and chronic disease treatment programs for addiction that meet a national standard of proven research; and
- Everyone with a substance use disorder must be treated with the same empathy and receive the same expert care as someone suffering from any other disease.
In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
Foremost to Shatterproof’s impact has been affecting change through federal and state legislation. In 2016 Shatterproof was one of the leading advocates for the successful issuance of the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, and the passage of two federal laws, the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) and the 21st Century Cures Act.
At the state level, Shatterproof has led campaigns in 14 states focused on a range of topics from broadening access to naloxone, a medication which can instantly reverse an overdose, to ensuring prescribing practices of opioids align with CDC recommendations.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
To Apply: Please send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “[Name] Assistant Director of State Engagement Application”