With a death from opioid addiction every 11 minutes, the human toll of the opioid crisis is undeniable. Based on extensive interviews, literature reviews, and case studies, we believe that effectively addressing stigma is a critical, cutting-edge component of combating this crisis – and every individual and institution in the U.S. has an important role to play.
Shatterproof is currently working to address the stigma surrounding opioid addiction on a national scale, via our National Stigma Strategy. Over the coming months, we will be finalizing our National Strategy and announcing the establishment of a first-of-its-kind center focused on reducing the stigma associated with opioid use disorder. Our new center will engage institutions and influencers across the country to join us in this initiative and set the standard of measuring impact across the wide variety of efforts that are planned or already underway.
The Director will lead key projects related to Shatterproof’s National Stigma Strategy, including supervising development of the key programs to implement the National Strategy’s Healthcare component and its evaluation plan.
The Director will be based in either Shatterproof’s New York headquarters or Washington D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead engagement of Healthcare stakeholders, including the development and delivery of Action Plans to be taken by Healthcare organizations
- Recruit Healthcare organizations as Allies and oversee ongoing Ally outreach and technical assistance efforts
- Help launch a national, evidence-informed anti-stigma movement; act as a content expert
- Support the development of cutting-edge digital content and programs intended to reduce stigma
- Support the delivery of Shatterproof stigma thought leadership initiatives including stigma indices and an annual scorecard measuring stakeholder response to stigma
- Implement detailed project plans for the National Stigma Strategy to monitor and track progress, initiate and manage processes, and ensure that all projects are delivered on-time by liaising with internal and external task owners
- Develop and oversee supplemental strategies for reducing stigma across a range of healthcare settings
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Qualifications – Candidate qualifications include:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in manager role. At least 2 years in a healthcare setting preferred (provider, payer, etc.), including experience leading efforts related to culture change and adopting evidence-based practices. Bachelor’s degree required. A degree focused in healthcare administration, public health, public policy, or a related discipline preferred. Advanced degree preferred. Degree can be substituted for substantial experience in addiction or stigma field
- Ideal candidates will have experience in healthcare administration, health equity, health disparities, social justice, and/or movement building. Experience in clinical settings and/or working with clinicians to change provider behavior a plus.
- Experience developing and reviewing business plans, financial models, program budgets, writing proposals/reports, and monitoring program performance through program evaluation or other methods
- Experience working closely with senior leadership and/or leading strategic partnerships with health care companies (hospital systems, payers, pharmacy benefit managers, etc.)
- Experience working in fast-paced, entrepreneurial settings
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to balance multiple complex workstreams
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending the devastation of addiction.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The misuse of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 160,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2016, more than 64,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient.
Founded by former hotel executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families. In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
- Federal & State Public Policies: Shatterproof is the leading organization informing policymakers on addiction-related issues, which has directly contributed to 16 bills being signed into law in 14 states; from the safer prescribing of opioids, to ensuring that the licensing of treatment programs is conditioned upon evidenced-based treatment, to ensuring that commercial and public health insurance are properly paying for treatment. Shatterproof has also partnered with other organizations to educate policymakers for the successful issuance of the CDC guideline for the safer prescribing of opioids and the passage of three comprehensive federal laws.
- Treatment Quality Measurement: Shatterproof is leading an initiative to apply public quality measurement system best practices – measuring the evidence-based elements of care delivery shown to improve patient outcomes, and then making that information available to consumers, providers, and market influencers – to addiction treatment. It is currently piloting this quality measurement system in five states, with plans to roll-out nationally, which will significantly improve the quality of care for 22 million Americans.
- Public Education: Shatterproof created evidenced-based educational programs for employers and families on prevention, treatment and recovery, with the dual aim of reducing the stigma unjustly associated with those addicted and their families. Shatterproof also created the largest event series for addiction in history, its Rise Against Addiction 5K Walk, which brings tens of thousands of families together to support each other and reduce the stigma of addiction.
Successful organizations are led by strong, effective leaders. Shatterproof’s leadership team is unique as its two top executives were highly successful businessmen and bring a for-profit, ROI, get-it-done approach to the organization. Shatterproof has rounded out its leadership team with team members holding extensive backgrounds in public policy and stigma reduction and with advisors providing subject matter expertise on addiction and public health. Coming from a very diverse set of backgrounds, our professional and lay leadership share a deep passion and commitment to ending the devastation caused by the disease of addiction.
Shatterproof values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.