ATLAS™ is a web and app-based platform that will allow the public searching for high-quality addiction treatment to locate and compare facilities, including trustworthy, standardized quality data on the services available and feedback on the services reported by other patients. ATLAS aims to help the public navigate to better quality care and support providers in quality improvement.
The core mission of Shatterproof is to reverse the addiction crisis in America and to serve patients and families. ATLAS fulfills Shatterproof’s goal of leveraging quality measures to increase transparency in and encourage improvements to addiction treatment. It is based upon Shatterproof’s National Principles of Care© and stems from the work of the Shatterproof Substance Use Disorder Treatment Task Force.
ATLAS will collect facility-level data from three sources: insurance claims, patient experience surveys, and a validated treatment facility survey. Data from these sources will be displayed in publicly-facing dashboards that allow for easy comparison between facilities. Moreover, ATLAS will promote quality improvement by offering portals for facilities, payers, and states to view and use the data to drive quality improvement and innovation.
ATLAS is currently being implemented in select states (DE, LA, MA, NC, NY, WV). States were selected for Phase I based upon various criteria, including capacity for successful implementation and demonstrated potential to scale ATLAS in the future. For the pilot, Shatterproof is also working closely with many addiction treatment stakeholders, including provider and medical organizations, payers, and recovery advocates, to ensure a successful and collaborative implementation. Following successful implementation in Phase I, ATLAS will be sustained in these states and scaled nationally.
The ATLAS initiative is led by the Vice President, National Treatment Quality Initiatives, who is based in NY, and a team that works remotely across the East Coast.
Reporting to the Vice President, National Treatment Quality Initiatives, the Director of State Engagement is tasked with overseeing stakeholder engagement in all ATLAS pilot states, as well as leading that engagement in one or more pilot states directly, and building a pipeline of states for the expansion of ATLAS. The role manages the state engagement team, which currently consists of two assistant state directors and a project coordinator and is anticipated to grow to support the expansion of ATLAS under the leadership of the Director of State Engagement. The Director will also work closely with Shatterproof’s Chief Public Policy Officer on the organization’s state-based policy objectives.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience executing state policy work; educational and employment background in public health, public policy, substance use disorder treatment, or a related field; knowledge of the addiction treatment system; and, experience undertaking projects that are both independent and collaborative, involve many partners, complex issues, and quantitative data. Demonstrated success in recruiting and working with state partners is ideal.
The position is based in New York City or Washington, D.C. and will require extensive travel and the management of a partially remote team.
- Oversee ATLAS stakeholder engagement strategy and implementation
- Manage state engagement team
- Execute state engagement plan in ATLAS state(s) where directly leading, including building key relationships and regularly liaising with state officials, providers, insurers, and other treatment system stakeholders
- Lead communications with state-based stakeholders and represent Shatterproof at key in-state meetings and events
- Deliver independent presentations within current Phase I states and in potential expansion states
- Oversee and support strategies to encourage patient participation in the ATLAS Patient Experience Survey
- Oversee and implement strategies in ATLAS Phase I states to ensure successful launch of the platform in spring of 2020
- Coordinate with Shatterproof staff and contractors related to public affairs, consumer education, provider training, and treatment quality initiatives.
- Maintain expertise on state-based initiatives related to Shatterproof’s work in the pilot state, including policy and regulatory changes
- Coordinate with Chief Policy Officer to support state-based policy work
- Identify potential policy solutions in Phase I states
- Identify and recruit pipeline of states for ATLAS expansion, including briefing state leadership, establishing relationships, executing MOUs and hiring staff to support implementation
- 7+ years of experience in a policy work, research organization, or health care system (addiction treatment preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with multiple high-level stakeholders
- Passion for Shatterproof’s mission
- Demonstrated knowledge of substance use disorders preferred
- Progressive management experience and demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Excellent and persuasive communicator; exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Self-reliant, excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to anticipate future needs and make decisions in a changing environment
- Ability to work independently
- A proactive, team player eager to collaborate with colleagues and partner
- Masters level candidates with focus on public policy, public health, health administration, or a related discipline preferred
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending the devastation of addiction.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The misuse of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 150,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2016, more than 64,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient.
Founded by former hotel executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families. To achieve this, Shatterproof believes:
- Every state and federal government agency must adopt, fund, and implement common-sense policies to dramatically increase access to evidence-based prevention and chronic disease management programs;
- Every American must have access to high-quality, evidence-based prevention and chronic disease treatment programs for addiction that meet a national standard of proven research; and
- Everyone with a substance use disorder must be treated with the same empathy and receive the same expert care as someone suffering from any other disease.
In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
Foremost to Shatterproof’s impact has been affecting change through federal and state legislation. In 2016 Shatterproof was one of the leading advocates for the successful issuance of the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, and the passage of two federal laws, the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) and the 21st Century Cures Act.
At the state level, Shatterproof has led campaigns in 14 states focused on a range of topics from broadening access to naloxone, a medication which can instantly reverse an overdose, to ensuring prescribing practices of opioids align with CDC recommendations.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
To Apply: Please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “[Name] Director of State Engagement application”