ATLAS® is a web-based platform that will allow the public searching for high-quality addiction treatment to locate and compare facilities, including trustworthy, standardized quality data on the services available and feedback on the services reported by other patients. ATLAS aims to help the public navigate to better quality care and support providers in quality improvement.
The core mission of Shatterproof is to reverse the addiction crisis in America and to serve patients and families. ATLAS fulfills Shatterproof’s goal of leveraging quality measures to increase transparency in and encourage improvements to addiction treatment. It is based upon Shatterproof’s National Principles of Care© and stems from the work of the Shatterproof Substance Use Disorder Treatment Task Force.
ATLAS will collect facility-level data from three sources: insurance claims, patient experience surveys, and a validated treatment facility survey. Data from these sources will be displayed in publicly-facing dashboards that allow for easy comparison between facilities. Moreover, ATLAS will promote quality improvement by offering portals for facilities, payers, and states to view and use the data to drive quality improvement and innovation.
ATLAS is currently being implemented in select states (DE, LA, MA, NC, NY, WV). States were selected for Phase I based upon various criteria, including capacity for successful implementation and demonstrated potential to scale ATLAS in the future. For this first phase, Shatterproof is also working closely with many addiction treatment stakeholders, including provider and medical organizations, payers, and recovery advocates, to ensure a successful and collaborative implementation. Following successful implementation in Phase I, ATLAS will be sustained in these states and scaled nationally.
The ATLAS initiative is led by the Vice President, National Treatment Quality Initiatives (NTQI), who is based in NYC, and a team that works either in the NYC office or remotely.
The Intern will provide GIS mapping and data visualization support to Shatterproof’s ATLAS team based in New York City. The part-time, paid intern will work a minimum of 30 hours per week, starting in May 2020. This is a temporary position with potential for full-time employment dependent on organization opportunities.
- Work under Assistant Director of State Engagement to map ATLAS Treatment Facility Survey responses by region.
- Propose and conduct geospatial analyses using ATLAS data set.
- Create data visualizations for planning purposes and to share with key stakeholders in reports, memos, presentations, and other communications materials.
- Assist in the creation of communication materials for ATLAS program work.
- Create protocol for using GIS to track ATLAS Treatment Facility Survey response rates and similar data by region for Phase 2 fielding of ATLAS Treatment Facility Survey.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, preferably in public health, statistics, public policy, or social work.
- Strong experience with GIS mapping required. Experience with additional data visualization software (such as Tableau) preferred.
- Interest in addiction, health care quality, and/or quality measurement initiatives.
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending the devastation of addiction.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The misuse of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 150,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2016, more than 64,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient.
Founded by former hotel executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families. To achieve this, Shatterproof believes:
- Every state and federal government agency must adopt, fund, and implement common-sense policies to dramatically increase access to evidence-based prevention and chronic disease management programs;
- Every American must have access to high-quality, evidence-based prevention and chronic disease treatment programs for addiction that meet a national standard of proven research; and
- Everyone with a substance use disorder must be treated with the same empathy and receive the same expert care as someone suffering from any other disease.
In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
Foremost to Shatterproof’s impact has been affecting change through federal and state legislation. In 2016 Shatterproof was one of the leading advocates for the successful issuance of the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, and the passage of two federal laws, the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) and the 21st Century Cures Act.
At the state level, Shatterproof has led campaigns in 14 states focused on a range of topics from broadening access to naloxone, a medication which can instantly reverse an overdose, to ensuring prescribing practices of opioids align with CDC recommendations.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
To Apply: Please send your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “[Name] GIS/Data Visualization Intern Application”
Shatterproof values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.