In early 2017 Shatterproof launched its most comprehensive initiative to date, the Substance Use Disorder Treatment Task Force, whose mission is to ensure that every American with a substance use disorder has access to high quality, evidence-based treatment. In November of that year it announced an agreement with 16 health insurers to adopt its National Principals of Care. The Task Force is currently working to ensure their implementation through payment reform, provider ratings, provider education, consumer education and policy changes.
Stemming from the work of the Task Force, the Shatterproof Rating System for Addiction Treatment Programs will be piloted in five states from 2019-2020. The pilot will inform treatment program report cards designed to:
- inform consumer decisions when seeking care
- drive quality improvement among the provider community
- serve as a resource for referral sources
- serve as a tool for insurers and states in making payment and network decisions
The Rating System will utilize a Donabedian approach to healthcare ratings and will include measures drawn from insurance claims (public and private), provider surveys, and consumer experience. The provider ratings will be displayed on a user-oriented online dashboard.
The Rating System team is headed by the Director of National Treatment Quality Initiatives, with two State Engagement Managers leading the work with Rating System pilot states, and a Project Coordinator who supports the pilot’s implementation across all states. The team is adding a Project Manager to support on overarching processes related, but not limited to, engaging with payers, evaluation of the pilot, and national expansion.
The Project Manager will lead on key over-arching projects related to the Shatterproof Rating System for Addiction Treatment Programs (Rating System). This will include coordination with data contributing partners and health insurers, development of a business plan for sustained implementation in pilot states and phased expansion, pilot stakeholder input processes, and pilot evaluation. The Project Manager will also support the Director of National Treatment Quality Initiatives in contractor management, including analytics and website development.
The Project Manager will be based in Shatterproof’s New York City headquarters and report to the Director of National Treatment Quality Initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- With a focus on Rating System data contributing partners, coordinate internal resources and communication with partners for the smooth execution of projects
- Oversee a detailed project plan for the Rating System to monitor and track progress, initiate and manage processes, and ensure that all projects are delivered on-time by liaising with internal and external task owners as necessary
- Oversee the development and implementation of project evaluation for the Rating System pilot including selecting and liaising with a third-party evaluator
- Lead on the development of a business plan for sustained implementation and phased expansion of the Rating System
- Support on contractor management, including analytics and website contractors and the overall website development process
- Lead projects as necessary related to ratings display methodologies and processes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Develop spreadsheets, diagrams and process maps to document needs
The ideal candidate qualifications include:
- Minimum of 4 plus years of experience in project management, including program development, implementation, and evaluation
- A bachelor’s degree in public health, public policy, or related discipline required. Advanced degree preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of healthcare quality improvement initiatives, such as quality measure development, rating systems, and analysis
- Experience working with multiple stakeholder groups. Experience working with health insurers and data partners preferred
- Significant knowledge of SUDs and their treatment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of developing program budgets, writing proposals/reports, and monitoring program performance
- Ability to identify and synthesize large amounts of information, with a strong commitment to providing the highest possible quality content
- Ability to balance multiple complex workstreams
- Ability to utilize Microsoft office suite, including outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software
Shatterproof is a national nonprofit organization committed to ending the devastation that addiction causes families.
Addiction is the most significant health crisis in the United States today.
More than 20 million Americans—one in twelve over the age of 12 — suffer from the disease of addiction, making it the fourth most prevalent disease in the United States. Addiction permeates every geographic corner of the country and every socioeconomic class. All told, approximately 80 million Americans have someone in their immediate family – son, daughter, mother or father, who are afflicted with this disease.
The misuse of alcohol and other drugs kills approximately 150,000 Americans each year, making it the country’s third largest cause of death. In 2016, more than 64,000 Americans died of an overdose, the majority of which were caused by an opioid, quintuple the number of Americans that died 15 years ago. Despite the magnitude of this enormous tragedy, the nation’s response has been misguided and insufficient.
Founded by former hotel executive Gary Mendell to fill the gap for a well-funded, national, not-for-profit organization to reverse the course of this health crisis, Shatterproof was launched with the single goal of ending the devastation addiction is causing our families. To achieve this, Shatterproof believes:
- Every state and federal government agency must adopt, fund, and implement common-sense policies to dramatically increase access to evidence-based prevention and chronic disease management programs;
- Every American must have access to high-quality, evidence-based prevention and chronic disease treatment programs for addiction that meet a national standard of proven research; and
- Everyone with a substance use disorder must be treated with the same empathy and receive the same expert care as someone suffering from any other disease.
In just a few short years, Shatterproof has distinguished itself by its business approach to making impact and its measurable success in saving the lives of many.
Foremost to Shatterproof’s impact has been affecting change through federal and state legislation. In 2016 Shatterproof was one of the leading advocates for the successful issuance of the CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain, and the passage of two federal laws, the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) and the 21st Century Cures Act.
At the state level, Shatterproof has led campaigns in 14 states focused on a range of topics from broadening access to naloxone, a medication which can instantly reverse an overdose, to ensuring prescribing practices of opioids align with CDC recommendations.
For more information, please visit Accomplishments.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “[Name] Program Manager Application”