Founded in 2012, Shatterproof is a non-profit organization committed to decisively tackling the disease of addiction to alcohol and other drugs. Its programs offer support for sufferers and their families, enable powerful new evidence-based approaches to prevention and treatment, and take the issue to the steps of Capitol Hill. Shatterproof’s mission is to significantly reduce the devastating impact of addiction on families across America. This organization helps parents prevent their children from developing an addiction to alcohol and other drugs and ensures that those afflicted with this disease gain access to proven and effective treatments and long-term recovery programs. It reduces the stigma and secrecy associated with addiction, removing the shame felt by those struggling with this disease and their families. Shatterproof educates, empowers and equips parents, families, educators, health care providers, legislators, and others to address addiction head-on. This vibrant, fast-growing nonprofit organization has numerous creative initiatives in place generating awareness and support for reversing the course of the addiction crisis in America. Engaging millions of Americans and empowering them to create change is central to Shatterproof’s business plan.
Shatterproof seeks a Vice President, Strategic Marketing & Communications, to plan, develop, and lead a global communications strategy to advance Shatterproof mission and vision, lead a national awareness campaign to end stigma related to Opioid Use Disorder (OUD), position the movement and key leadership as thought leaders, and drive engagement with key influencers, including private sector leaders, policymakers, and media. We are looking for an out-of-the-box thinker, with a pulse on the ever-evolving media and information consumption landscape, an incredible storyteller who is analytics savvy and has the ability to balance numerous priorities, with a proactive mindset toward creating breakthrough awareness opportunities.
- Create and drive the implementation of Shatterproof’s overarching marketing communications and thought leadership strategy, with a particular eye on supporting the integration of messaging surrounding ending stigma toward OUD.
- Create and manage national awareness for the National Stigma Initiative to end stigma toward OUD including internal and external communications strategies and a national awareness campaign.
- Establish and manage media, sports, and entertainment relationships and partnerships.
- Develop and manage a functional content calendar throughout the enterprise verticals, and define the owners in each vertical to particular persona groups.
- Work closely with Shatterproof Senior Leadership Team to develop an ongoing pipeline of originally written and/or curated content (articles, blog posts, opinion pieces) in support of the organization’s key areas of interest.
- Drive thought leadership initiatives being opportunity driven; savvy around cultural and news events and happenings and able to react to relevant topics to elevate the Shatterproof brand.
- Pitch proactive stories and content pieces on behalf of Shatterproof CEO, and internal leadership; maintain and update media lists.
- Manages crisis communications and reputation in the public domain.
- Stay current about emerging trends and strategies and best practices and train staff on trends, tools, and tactics.
- Oversee the monitoring and reporting of Shatterproof communications efforts through analytics measurement.
- Manage communications staff and external agencies and consultants.
- 10 + years of experience as a strategic communications adviser for a significant, high-profile organization such as a major non-profit entity, government agency, campaign or public corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement comprehensive communications strategies, both internal and external, including strong understanding of audience and how to use communications to build constituencies of support across geographies
- Proven track record of top-tier media placements, managing and growing media relationships, and successful use of digital mediums
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist and has a “nose” for the story a plus. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Supervisory and management skills and proven track record of leading a team
- Experience developing and using data, market research and consumer insight to guide approaches
- Experience working directly with high profile individuals and celebrities
- Experience planning and staffing major events with numerous stakeholders; ability to prepare and staff media spokespeople
- Experience and ability to work multiple projects simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced and complex environment.
- Highly motivated self-starter who knows how to take projects and run with them
- Detail and deadline oriented, with a willingness to often work non-traditional hours
- Ability to collaborate with and influence key stakeholders across a complex organization
- Ability to travel domestically
- Understanding of substance use disorder (SUD)
Shatterproof values diverse perspectives and is committed to building an inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or prior arrest history. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.