Founded in 2012, Shatterproof is a non-profit organization committed to decisively tackling the disease of addiction to alcohol and other drugs. Its programs offer support for sufferers and their families, enable powerful new evidence-based approaches to prevention and treatment, and take the issue to the steps of Capitol Hill. Shatterproof’s mission is to significantly reduce the devastating impact of addiction on families across America. This organization helps parents prevent their children from developing an addiction to alcohol and other drugs and ensure that those afflicted with this disease gain access to proven and effective treatments and long-term recovery programs. It reduces the stigma and secrecy associated with addiction, removing the shame felt by those struggling with this disease and their families. Shatterproof educates, empowers and equips parents, families, educators, health care providers, legislators, and others to address addiction head-on.
This vibrant, fast-growing nonprofit organization has numerous creative initiatives in place generating awareness and support for confronting addiction. Uniting and millions of Americans and empowering them to create change is central to Shatterproof’s Business Plan. Building upon the success of the Shatterproof Rise Up Against Addiction (RUAA) Walks (seven in 2019) and four signature/third party events (on West and East Coasts), the VP will position all unrestricted P2P/DIY/signature events for growth. The VP will lead, partner with and mentor seven Directors of Development and two fundraising support staff throughout the country to build Shatterproof’s national and regional fundraising enterprise.
About Shatterproof’s CEO:
Gary Mendell, Founder & CEO of Shatterproof, launched the organization (then known as Brian's Wish) in 2012 to honor the memory of his son, Brian, who lost his battle with addiction. Gary is passionate about his mission of sparing others the anguish and horror he and his family have suffered as they lost their war against drug addiction. Gary was the founder of HEI Hotels & Resorts, a multi-billion-dollar hospitality corporation. Soon after his traumatic event, he relinquished his CEO position at HEI to dedicate his energies towards opening a national dialogue about addiction and building a national organization to address serious gaps in funding and resources for this disease.
Gary’s leadership is unique given his proven track record of stellar performance in the business world. He brings a level of business acumen and bottom-line focus that ensures Shatterproof’s long runway of success. This CEO marries personal drive and real-world business knowledge – a winning and rare combination for a person at the helm of a non-profit.
The VP, Development will oversee and develop Shatterproof’s unrestricted fundraising efforts. Reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer, the VP is an energetic and experienced fundraiser who is responsible for the development and execution of Shatterproof’s unrestricted fundraising strategy for P2P/DIY/Events. He/she will manage and energize a staff of paid professionals and committed volunteers to implement Shatterproof’s highly aggressive unrestricted fundraising program. This is an exciting role for an entrepreneurial and business-minded professional who can leverage the organization’s strengths. Shatterproof is a nimble, flexible organization characterized by startup culture and significant potential for growth; at the same time, the team possesses - not just vision - but the resources to translate passion into results.
The VP will be expected to excel at the following:
- Refine, increase revenue and expand the RUAA Walks and DIY/events.
- Continuously improve this comprehensive fundraising program; grow revenue and increase participation; build and establish new relationships with national and local corporate leaders and sponsors.
- Partner with CDO to explore and develop National Leadership Council (official launch in 2020).
- Serve as Shatterproof spokesperson and respond to various media requests/inquiries.
- Develop a three-year, integrated strategy for P2P/DIY and event fundraising, including yearly expense budgets and revenue goals. Partner with CDO to develop overall fundraising projections and expenses.
- As part of that strategy, research and recommend new and innovative P2P and experiential fundraising programs to build a robust and well-rounded P2P and experiential fundraising portfolio.
- Build the team and business processes necessary to successfully implement the P2P/DIY/Events fundraising portfolio. Serve as supervisor and mentor to seven DODs and two support staff.
- Partner with Chief Marketing Officer to develop a robust online marketing and fundraising strategy, including fundraising web pages, e-communications, advertising plan, social media, etc. This plan should take advantage of the constantly evolving ways in which various demographics utilize social media and other digital technologies.
- Oversee the identification and securing of significant national and local corporate partnerships.
- Partner with CDO to establish solid, productive relationships with highly productive fundraising leaders from the board of directors, board of advisors and community-at-large. Garner their respect and commitment through their intelligence and experience.
- In collaboration with the CDO, develop ROI measurements for P2P/DIY/Events fundraising programs; provide overall revenue and expense forecast and advise if any variances are anticipated; review final campaign results and provide analysis and final recommendations for presentation to the CEO.
- Align Shatterproof’s fundraising campaigns with its advocacy platform, ensuring that fundraising communications and marketing efforts engage and motivate large numbers of donors via a diverse array of both digital platforms and traditional outreach strategies.
- Assess the efficacy of the programs via precise data analysis and stay abreast of developments in the industry to keep the fundraising program competitive. Continue to assess industry for trends and best practices.
- Manage relationships with outside consultants and vendors. Manage the process of negotiating agreements or contracts where applicable.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- An unparalleled commitment to raising awareness of drug and alcohol addiction in America.
- Five or more years of professional experience in P2P/event fundraising program(s). Demonstrated experience launching or actively involved in a robust peer-to-peer or grassroots fundraising program.
- Demonstrated experience growing revenue from a peer-to-peer or grassroots fundraising program.
- Demonstrated ability to establish goals, chart a strategic course, and develop corresponding tactical plans.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize and motivate a team to achieve goals.
- Experience with/knowledge of Salesforce, Rallybound and other P2P platforms.
- The energy and drive to build a national movement.
- Poise and experience in public speaking.
- Experience producing high-quality events.
- Commitment to staying abreast of current trends in P2P and experiential events, and especially to the rise of social media and other innovative digital technologies.
- Passion for digital technology and social media, as well as the experience and know-how to engage with different demographic groups in an innovative, ground-breaking manner.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem-solving, and the ability to take advantage of emerging opportunities and trends.
- Individual with high levels of energy, self-confidence, a positive “can-do” attitude and relentless drive for results. Excellent and well-demonstrated project management skills. Ability to manage numerous concurrent and developing projects.
- Initiative and independence combined with the ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to travel nationally.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to: careers@Shatterproof.org