Are there evidence-based drug prevention programs for youth and families?
The following are evidence-based prevention programs for children and young adults in collaboration with parents to educate youth on life skills, conflict resolutions, substance use prevention and efficient communication techniques.
- The Botvin Life Skills Training (LST) program is a comprehensive evidence-based prevention program for middle school students.
- The Narconon Truth About Drugs is an evidence-based drug education program targeting middle and high school students.
- The Iowa State University Strengthening Families Program: focused on education about the risk factors for developing a substance use disorder and provides information in managing family conflict and encouraging positive child involvement in family activities.
- The University of Georgia’s Strong African American Families program focuses on bolstering strong parental relations between parents and adolescents with the goal to prevent alcohol and drug use in youths.
- Blueprint’s Guiding Good Choices is a parent-focused intervention program about setting expectations, monitoring children, coping with peer pressure, conflict resolution and improving family relationships.
Navigating treatment options can be a confusing and time-consuming process. The resources below will be helpful to you in your recovery. No matter where you look for treatment, it should follow these science-based best practices: Shatterproof National Principles of Care.
- If you live in Delaware, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, or West Virginia, you can use Shatterproof’s Addiction Treatment Locator, Analysis, and Standards Platform ATLAS to find trustworthy information about addiction treatment near you.
- Visit findtreatment.gov, a nationwide treatment locator created by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Recursos en español de Health Advisor este informe identifica las lagunas de addición, la salud mental y provee recursos locales en español.
- Recursos en español de NIDA aqui podra encontrar recursos para el tratamiento de uso de drogras y la recuperación.