Addiction is a chronic brain disease that shatters lives. Across the country, parents and family members of loved ones with substance use disorder are isolated and afraid. It’s time to change that.
Substance use disorder is the most urgent health crisis in our country today. Alcohol and drug misuse is now the third leading cause of death in our country, taking approximately 400 lives every single day.
The Importance of Family Support
When a loved one is dealing with a substance use disorder, it can make family members feel lost, full of blame, and alone. It’s common to develop patterns of co-dependency to cope with the unpredictable actions of our loved one. But knowledge is power: The education provided in our support groups gives families newfound understanding, comfort, and hope, and provides a supportive community environment.
The Goal of the Shatterproof Family Support Group
Our peer and clinician led meetings share evidence-based education in a safe environment, so that family members may comfortably and freely express their emotions and the challenges they face. The goal is to learn from each other, build new relationships, and strengthen social support networks and resources, while reducing isolation.
We understand that there is not one single best way to engage in treatment, recovery, or support. Every person and every situation is unique. Our approach is to share evidence-based resources and personal experiences so that families may choose how to best support their loved one.
The Shatterproof Family Support Groups:
- Share evidence-based education and resources—helping families overcome the myths, chaos, and confusion that surround the disease of addiction.
- Are co-led by a clinician trained in addiction management as well as a trained peer coach.
- Offer a safe and caring setting where families can exchange experiences, build new relationships and strengthen their social network while reducing isolation.
- Encourage an environment of recovery within homes and communities nationwide.
- Help families identify the types of treatment resources and recovery services that are uniquely suited to meet their individual needs.
- Provide trusted educational resources that have been reviewed by our medical/scientific experts.
A weekly in-person meeting with peer-to-peer support available between meetings, and 24/7 access to a virtual library of evidence-based education and resources. Our group members gain shared knowledge, wisdom, and resources from Shatterproof as well as group member’s personal experiences.
UnitedHealth Group Foundation has generously provided a grant to Shatterproof for the development of the Family Support Groups, where much-needed guidance from trained facilitators can be obtained in a stigma-free environment.